Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I've been asked to post my gazpacho recipe because it's just the thing for these hot July nights. If I remember, I do not puree the cilantro and parsley, but stir them in before chilling because the gazpacho then retains its beautiful red color.


GAZPACHO
for the tomato days of summer


3 1/2 cups tomato juice

8 plum tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1/4 inch pieces

1 English cucumber, cut into 1/4 inch pieces

1 red bell pepper, cut ino 1/4 inch pieces

1 medium onion, chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

3 T fresh lemon juice

1 green onion, chopped

1 1/2 t minced seeded jalapeno chili

2 cloves garlic, minced


Combine 1 cup tomato juice, half of tomatoes, half of cucumber, and half of bell pepper in blender. Puree until smooth. Pour into large bowl. Stir in remaining tomaotes, cucumber, and bell pepper; add onion, cilantro parsley, lemon juice, green onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Transfer 1 cup mixture to blender. Add 2 1/2 cups tomato juice to blender and puree. Pour back into large bowl and stir to combine. Thin with additional tomato juice, if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Cover; chill 2 hours. Serve cold.


JBelle
Bellemaison
The 'Kan EWA

11 comments:

Mommy Dearest said...

Mmmmmm. I'll have to try this one out on the Urchins. Maybe if I add a little ketchup it'll go over well.

Carla said...

Looks like just the thing for this hot summer weather we've been having. Mmmm!

... said...

Sounds nice.

Hey, got some pictures of the gardens of Toadmaison on my Flickr site, if you're interested. Just don't be as harsh as you were at the Cour D'Alene garden club tour...m'kay?

Anonymous said...

Good morning.

Ya know, in persuing the ingredients, the only thing I omit are the scallions. If I'm low on fresh cilantro I'll use them as a garnish atop a dollop of sour cream...but that's just me.

Hey, you know what would be FABULOUS with chilled gazpacho? Mmmm, a nice iced shot (or two) of that "micro-brewed" Russian vodka I told you about yesterday. (Still checking the name. There's a new one either out or readying to come out called "Diva" but I haven't sampled it yet. My money's still on that smooth Roosky son-of-a-gun.)

Have a great weekend, missy.

--

Anonymous said...

Brother number two came through:
Zyr.

Check it out.
http://www.zyrvodka.com/

It's been around for three years (or so) and getting it outside of NYC or FL might be easier these days. Dunno.

There's another newbie, "Diva", that's either out or on its way but it's not Roosky. Keep me informed, eh?

Back to soup!

;)


--

Anonymous said...

You know it's pretty sad when I repeated myself...

Jesus.

And it's only 8:39am. I haven't a drop of anything more than java java. See, there I go again. Must be the jitters. ;)

Latuh.


--

Christy Woolum said...

I have never tried this type of soup but always thought it sounded so good, especially when it is SO HOT!!Do you think it would freeze okay?

JBelle said...

It's hot here!

MD: ketchup? well, yeah, huh? My youngest still eats ketchup on tacos, a habit he picked up at daycare. And ketchup on his hashbrowns--that seriously annoys me!

Carla: are you in Canada? I am going to Russia in 10 days or so where it is 70 degrees F. yaaaay.

Toadster: I will flicker over to glimpse Toadmaison. I bet it's fabulous.

Your Holiness: you need wadka for those jitters. ja. ;)

GG: This soup is phenomenal when it's hot. And it shoud? freeze okay. There's never any left. So I can't say for sure.

Mommy Dearest said...

The garlic ingredient reminded me of coming home from the movies tonight. I went up to the bedroom to see Mommy Dearest and The Goo, and encountered a horrible smell. Turns out, it was from Mommy Dearest eating leftovers from The Oval Office.

Oops.

I'm looking forward to coming to work over in the 'kan...

otisgexperience

MarmiteToasty said...

Id make that iffin we was having a summer here, but alas the weather is still poo and we have just had the muvver of all thunder storms.....

We need hot steaming soup NOT cold soup.....

on saying that I am gonna write down ya recipe for future use :)

(((((JBelle)))))))xxxx

JBelle said...

OtisG: I have not been to The Oval Office. Is the menu feature the garlic as with the place down the street? I really want to go to The Oval Office as I truly think we can get in. :) annnd I really miss the old place. I loved that when he was first starting. I will call my buddy Rich Munson this week and tell him that he's got a blue blood on his staff. What! North Idaho royalty! we are a pure and rare breed!

Mellers, only for you will I post a soup recipe that will warm and sooth your chilled bones. smooches.