Saturday, October 10, 2009


Today

I am so, so drunk today;
I've escaped my bonds today.

I'm that "something" that doesn't occur to the mind;
I'm that; yes, I'm that, today.

Spiritually, I went up to The Heaven of The Soul,
even though in form, I'm down today.

I pulled on The Intellect's ear and said: "Intellect!
Be gone! Because of you, I got free today!

"Take your hands off me, O mind!
I'm crazy as a Magnum today."

That beautiful Joseph handed me an orange to peel.
Bewitched by His Beauty, I cut both my hands today.

That brimful Jug of Wine made me so drunk
that I broke to pieces so many earthen vats today.

I don't know where I am,
but what a happy place I'm in today!

Fortune came to my door to flirt today,
but, drunk, I slammed the door in her face.

But when she left, I ran after her;
I haven't stopped running for a moment today.

When We are nearer than the jugular vein*
became clear today, I could no longer adore myself.

Do not tie up those ringlets of yours, Sham of Tabriz!
I'm caught like a fish in this net today.


~Divani Shamsi Tabrizi 1185

*Qur'an 50:16


Rumi. Rumi...


JBelle
Bellemaison
The 'Kan EWA

2 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

I LOVED this. I also love the sunflower photo on the banner. We did get a "hard frost" now so sadly it is time to say good-bye to much in the garden. sigh.

MarmiteToasty said...

nice, I think lol

I also love the sunflower heading....

When do you go to Turkey?

x