Tuesday, January 13, 2009


The Penske rolls on. Chunked out another 630miles today, sailing by barns and silos, wind turbines and the Mississippi River, and cornfields. Lots and lots of cornfields. It was a day of unprecedented cultural delights that only the midwest can bring. First, The Corn Palace the place to meet when in the Dakotas and boy howdy! check out that Space Needle! Made me feel really, really welcome.
Second, but certainly second to none, the mighty Spam Museum in Austin, Minnesota. My God. It’s the eighth wonder of the world, really. The people are darling, the exhibits incredibly well done and when you are finished if they were selling Spamburgers, you’d buy one. At the Spam Museum, you can put your own can of Spam together and race against the factory team putting together cans of Spam, all to the strains of Tchaikovsky. He’s a Russian. There are Spam recipes, a Spam exam and of course, the fabulous Spam Gift Shop. God, what a day! They had the Monty Python Spam thing, too. I told you this was a cultural experience second to none.

We rolled into Chicago on I-90 10:45, having crossed off South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. Big wheels keep on turning…

JBelle
On Assignment
Chicago, Illinois

5 comments:

PDX Pup said...

Dammit! The Corn Palace! That's one place we never made it to. And how jealous am I that the freaking Spam Museum was OPEN this time?!? You guys are motoring!

BX_boy said...

the better question is did you sample the spam at the spam museum??

MarmiteToasty said...

How I would love to be on this road trip with you........ one, I LOVE driving.... and two, what a way to see your country....

I chatted with my Jacob last week about maybe after his exams in the spring... and when I get me break in the summer, if he fancies renting a car on the East coast of america somewhere and just driving across the middle stopping at places on the way, until we get to the other side.... he said he was up for it as long as it was not like THE HILLS HAVE EYES LOL..... its a thought that Im certainly thinking about.... if he dont wanna go, then I might even be tempted to go it alone.... we'll see....

please drive carefully

x

Christy Woolum said...

Wow! Are you going to post Spam recipes? When your marathon traveling calms down... check out my Thursday blog post. I took your suggestion and snapped photos of Mom's angel collection. Enjoy!

Carla said...

Spam museum? I would have never guessed. Not in a million years.